Jan 27, 2011

"I don't really understand what it's for, or why it's important, but there it is"

London, London, London.... What to say about London...

We got there Tuesday in the early afternoon and technically left bright and early this morning.

Over the basically day and a half we were in London we saw:
Buckingham Palace - we waved 'hello' to the Queen and everything since the flag was raised.
The London Eye - which was cool to see all of London from above, but I think it took too long to go up and come down. We had some Fast Passes from our tour bus company, though, so we didn't have to wait in line for it.
Big Ben
Parliament
Westminster Abby - the guided audio commentary (by Jeremy Irons) was pretty interesting. Although I was unable to find a relative who is supposed to have a bust in there somewhere, I did see the memorials/tombs of some pretty important people including Elizabeth I, Mary Tudor, William Shakespeare, Darwin and Newton. (And it looks nothing like they tried showing in The Davinci Code.)
Chinatown
Various squares around the city
Tower Bridge
The Towers of London
St. Paul's Cathedral
Shakespeare's Globe
Marble Arch
AND MORE!

We even got some discounted tickets to see Wicked last night!

Today we checked out of our hostel a little bit after 7 a.m. and took a train to Salisbury. This is a medieval tiny town that is completely bomb free (from the war). It has the 4th tallest cathedral in the world and the closest "large" city to Stonehenge.

So today we adventured to the mysterious rocks of Stonehenge, and were sort of disappointed. I sort of imagined that the rocks would be HUGE and be sitting on top of this big hill you had to walk up, and that you could walk around the inside of the circle and see the rocks up close and everything. Unfortunately, it's not really on a hill, and it's not as big as I had thought, and we couldn't walk through it but only around it. I think we maybe wouldn't have been AS disappointed if it wasn't so cold, because it was COLD. I did have a nice conversation with some sheep though. Because apparently there are sheep surrounding Stonehenge.

After exploring Stonehenge and Salisbury we got back on the train to London and got on a bus back up to Yorkshire.

London was definitely an experience. I'm glad I've been there for sure. It's very loud, crowded and expensive. But the historical sights are interesting to see with your own eyes.

It's also been nice having Matt as a "tour guide". I've been learning a lot about different things associated with London, Yorkshire and England in general. It's definitely interesting to see things from the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment